Please ensure that you read and understand the following information before you submit this form:
- The Conference and Discretionary Fund is maintained by CUSA Council and is intended to assist students and student groups on campus in endeavours that improve the Carleton community, the profile of CUSA and/or the interests of the students involved.
- These endeavours may be in the form of a conference that a student or group may wish to attend or host; a charity we may be asked to support; or any other event that CUSA deems worthy.
- The Conference and Discretionary Fund is not available to areas of CUSA that receive funding through CUSA’s operating budget. Restricted areas include, but are not limited to: CUSA Clubs and Societies, its Service Centres, its Businesses, and its Executives. This restriction does not preclude any individual member of a Club/Society, the Executive, or a Service Centre from obtaining funding for a conference/event if it does not relate to their position in a restricted area. Additionally, CUSA will not provide funding for any conference or event that has a fourth-year research project as its primary benefit objective
- Funds will be dispensed at the discretion of Council and are allocated as follows: 10% for
the Summer academic session, 50% for the Fall session, and the remaining 40% for the Winter
- All applicants are required to fill out a standard application form (available in the CUSA
office) and provide an official itinerary and/or contact information for the conference organizers,
charity representative, or event organizer.
- The applicant may be requested to make a presentation to the Committee, which will consider its merits. The Committee may approve the application, reject it, or make recommendations to the applicant about possible alternative forms of funding. It is the responsibility of the applicant to respond promptly to any recommendations made by the
Committee or if additional information is required. Council will be advised of all Committee decisions.
- Council may not fund more than $500.00 for any request
The CDFC shall adhere to the following guidelines when it comes to reviewing submissions. As a matter of official policy, the Conference and Discretionary Fund Committee will regard favourably those applications that take the following aspects into consideration:
- Personal investment such as time, money, skills and others in the project will be considered advantageous.
- Events should have recognition of CUSA as a sponsor or tie in with the aims of CUSA as an organization.
- The event should have a wider benefit to the student body and not just to the individual student seeking funding. There should be a plan demonstrated to share knowledge learned with the greater student body.
- Events that help promote academics of the Student Body are to be strongly considered.
- Members attending conferences and competitions that enhance a student’s skill set are considered advantageous
- All budgets must be detailed and accompanied with event pamphlets, itinerary, etc.
- An event or conference brought to Carleton is considered advantageous
- Applications submitted after a conference/event has taken place must be accompanied with receipts corresponding to the budget submitted
- Submissions that adhere to the aforementioned criteria as close as possible (as many of the above points as possible) will have a higher chance of receiving funding from the CDFC